The Bachelors in Medicine and Surgery course (MBChB) integrates a vibrant 6-year undergraduate course in clinical training tailored to local and international needs with an aim of improving human health.
The program is highly challenging but extremely rewarding. It will equip you with the medical, clinical and research skills for pursuing a vocation in any field of medicine.
The JKUAT MBChB curriculum is designed to be learner-centered and outcome based with a community orientation. It is a hybrid curriculum that employs conventional lecture system and Problem Based Learning (PBL) tutorials in its delivery
The School of Medicine under the College of Health Sciences (COHES) is committed to innovative research that will transform health service delivery in the country. We aim to provide graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
- Regular Programs:
All candidates admitted to MBChB degree must satisfy the following requirements:
- They must satisfy the common requirements for entry into the University
- In addition, the applicants must obtain at least the minimum cut off points for the year as determined from the following cluster drawn from Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education:
- Privately Sponsored Students Programme (PSSP)
All candidates must satisfy the common requirements for entry into the University
- K.C.S.E. Holders: An average of B+(plus) in the 4 cluster subjects shown above provided that no subject in the cluster shall have a score below C+ (plus).
- Advanced Level Holders: A minimum of 2 principal passes; one in Biology and the other in Chemistry and one subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
- Diploma in Clinical Medicine: A minimum “O” level Division II pass or C+ (plus) Mean Grade and Credit pass C+ (plus) in the cluster subjects in K.C.S.E. in addition to a Credit pass in the professional qualification from a recognized medical training institution.
- Holders of any degree in the biological sciences from JKUAT or equivalent qualification from a university recognized by JKUAT Senate.
Transfer of Credits
Applicants seeking transfer of credits for similar courses taken from institutions recognized by the University Senate may:
- Send a formal application seeking transfer of credits, justification of the request and attach evidence of the credentials which will support such request
- Apply for transfer of credits which is processed only after payment of the prescribed exemption fee.