Wikipedia says Geomatics is the discipline of gathering, storing, processing, and delivering geographic information or spatially referenced information.
B.Sc. Geomatics Engineering, offered by the Department of Geomatic Engineering & Geospatial Information Systems, is a five (5) year course which aims to offer sound training and research in Spatial information disciplines of Geo-spatial Engineering and Geo-spatial Information Systems (GIS).
Students are trained to know various methods and techniques of acquiring, storing, managing, processing, analysis, modeling and dissemination of geo-referenced spatial position or location based information geo-spatial information.
The program essentially integrates modern spatial data acquisition methods with computer based data management systems. It has its roots in mapping surveying and cartography with current developments in geo-statistics, web mapping, neo-geography and geo-visual analytics among other disciplines. Over 80% of all data handled in the world today contains a spatial/location/positional component. In addition, there is a growing interest from various disciplines to integrate the spatial component into their daily business for instance air, sea and ground navigation.
Mode of Study: Full time at JKUAT main campus, Juja.
Minimum Entry Requirements
The following requirements should be fulfilled by prospective candidates:
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) applicants should satisfy all the requirements below:
- A candidate must have a mean aggregate of at least grade B– (minus);
- The mean grade for the total score in the four KUCCPS cluster subjects must be at least B (plain);
- In the individual cluster subjects, a candidate must have at least the scores given below:
- Mathematics C+
- Physics C+
- Chemistry C+
- Geography or Biology C+
- or group III or any group IV
- Mathematics C+
- Physical Sciences B
- Biological Sciences C+
- Geography or any Group IV Subjects C+
- Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) or the A- level equivalent should satisfy all the requirements below:
- At least two principal passes in Mathematics and Physics;
- At least a total score of nine (9) points at the KACE or equivalent;
- At least a credit pass in chemistry at the KCE or its equivalent.
- Diploma applicants:
A candidate must be a holder of JKUAT diploma in engineering with at least a credit pass in the relevant discipline. (Entry point for Diploma holders with a credit is at 2nd year while that for Higher Diploma holders is at 3rd year.)
- A holder of other qualifications recognized by the Senate as equivalent to 1, 2 and 3 above.
Areas of Employment
Employment opportunities exist in:
- Construction companies
- Engineering contractors and consultancies
- Geophysics consultancy companies
- Government agencies
- Local authorities and central government
- Mapping companies, including those working on relatively unmapped areas of the world
- Mining companies
- Specialist surveying and geomatics companies that provide services for areas such as property development, construction and heritage management
- Utility companies
- Ordnance Survey (OS)