Human nutrition refers to the provision of essential nutrients necessary to support human life and health. – Wikipedia
Dietetics– the branch of knowledge concerned with the diet and its effects on health, especially with the practical application of a scientific understanding of nutrition.
This degree program is aimed at producing an all round and well trained graduate in all aspects of Human nutrition and dietetics including covering:
- Applied nutrition- allows for the joint study of nutrition with other subject areas such as health and exercise, public health, food science, psychology or business.
- Community nutrition- with the goal to educate and train communities or groups of people in the field of improving health through nutrition.
- Clinical nutrition- which focuses on the nutrition of individuals, either preventative in terms of lifestyle-related diseases, or therapeutic in the treatment of the disease.
- A candidate wishing to be admitted into the B.Sc. degree programme in Human Nutrition and Dietetics must satisfy the minimum University entry requirements and Faculty of Agriculture regulations.
In addition to the above, the candidate must have obtained a minimum of C+ (plus) in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) and should have a minimum grade of C (plain) in each of the following subjects: Chemistry, Biology and Mathematics/ Physics
C (plain) in each of the following subjects: Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences/Mathematics and Geography or any of the Group IV subjects.
The degree programme for those admitted under this shall extend for a minimum of four (4) years and a maximum of six (6) years.
- Alternatively, admission shall be granted to holders of Diploma in Human Nutrition and Dietetics (with credit and above) from Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology or from other institutions recognized by the University Senate.
Such candidates shall enter the program at the second year of study unless otherwise specified by the Faculty.
The degree program for those admitted under this shall extend for a minimum of three years and a maximum of five years.
- Clinical Dietetics
- Food and Nutrition Management
- Public Health Nutrition
- Education and Research
- Consultant/Private Practice
- Business and Industry- Careers in business and industry include jobs such as sales, marketing, public relations, research and development
- International Food Organizations
- Public Policy/Government